Friday, May 8, 2009

Last day

Time flies.
I can't believe this is the last day of my maternity leave. And let me just say how thankful I am that I was able to be off of work for almost 5 months. I absolutely cannot imagine going back any earlier than this.
I am currently spending this glorious spring day trying to get my baby boy to settle in to a nap (pretty please? with sugar on top?), as we experienced our first cat-nap-in-the-car-which-ruined-our-early-afternoon-nap scenario. Not pretty.
I start work next week. Ben has gradual admission into his child care classroom on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, then I'm back to work on Thursday. Three days a week, which is the amount I'll be going back, sounds like it will be a nice balance for both of us.
Sitting in then den in the wee hours of those cold, dark December nights, I dreamed in fast forward and saw myself happily trotting back to work. Now I feel very mixed. I truly love being a mommy, spending my days with Ben but as I've said all along, I do believe I will ultimately be a better mother to him because I will be working part time.

Sounds as if the last nap on our last leave day together has been achieved.

Sleep quickly, Mr. Cheeks, there's still so much we have to do together.

1 comment:

Liz Jimenez said...

Good luck with the big transition. I'm sure there will be really hard parts, but really good ones as well. And lucky you that you have managed to work out a part-time schedule! Sounds like the best of both worlds to me. There are definitely days when I really miss working.